Having amassed a collection of blank masks, the time had come to start painting them. I’ll be the first to admit that colour is not my strongest point, so I’m glad I’ve got a few to play with!
A basic red devil mask with silly eyebrows. I’m thinking about adding some gold detailing to make it more interesting, or maybe some occult symbols across the forehead.
Here I tried a technique for an aged, cracked surface. If I ever want to do a bark texture mask, I’ll know how. The red one resulted in much larger cracks, perhaps because my red paint is much older and thicker.
I tried using gold glass paint to create the raised gold details on this chap. It worked, but I still prefer the thicker, less uniform lines with the gold leaf that I did a month or so ago.
And a cat mask. A more refined crackled surface, painted with watercolours. I’d like to age this a bit and add a layer of varnish, but I rather like it and don’t want to spoil it with a technique that fails so I’ll have to experiment a bit more before finishing him off.