I was buzzing to get started on mask making when I returned from Florence but it was going to take a while to gather the materials and equipment. Luckily I still had a few old half-finished masks lying around from last year. I’d left them in various states after booking my course in Florence, as I figured I’d probably learn more there than I would by completing them straight away. I wasn’t too worried about ruining them as I’d learned a bit about how to design a mask to fit a face properly since making them!
I started on the old Cthulhu mask. I managed to find a british equivalent of the paint from Florence that resulted in a much more controlled cracked effect than my attempts last year. The paints used for the colour were a bit of a puzzle and I managed to make a bit of a mess with a cat mask before giving up with them. It might just have been an error in translation, but I did some more experimenting and managed to layer up a selection of others for a fairly pleasing result eventually.
I also had a go at adding gold details to the last cat mask, and leaving the background white to see the result of the aging effect more clearly. Although it looks better in real life than this photo makes out I still think I need to work on that a bit. I also managed to cover this second Cthulhu in red fluff after trying to polish him too early. Again, hooray for learning processes.
Then, finally, I had everything I needed to start a new mask, including a rare full day off work! I made a new clay sculpture using my mask from Florence as a reference, cast it in plaster, and have left it to cure. The real test will be in a week or so when I attempt to make a first mask from the mold. Til then I’ll just have to amuse myself with other projects.